FAQ - Opening a Dayhome

Making a Difference


What are the requirements?

We require a Security Clearance, Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Intervention Check for everyone in the home that is 18 years or older. All dayhome educators are required to have a current Child/Infant CPR First Aid Certificate.  You can still apply to become a dayhome educator prior to completing your security clearance and intervention checks. You will need to get them before your approval process. We are not approving dayhomes in apartments.

Do I need an education to become a Dayhome Program Educator?

It is an asset if you have your Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Level 1, 2, or 3. We will still consider applicants who do not have any childcare certifications. If you do become an educator through our agency, you are required to complete your Level 1 course. This can be completed through in-home study in the comfort of your own home.

Is there a cost to start up a dayhome?

We do not charge a fee to become a dayhome educator with our agency and you will be responsible for the cost of the criminal background check and First Aid/CPR course. You will also be responsible for costs associated with running your dayhome (i.e. developing your play space, food/drink for children, etc.) Since you are running your own business, many of these costs are tax-deductible.

How much will I make?

As a dayhome program educator, you are considered self-employed and able to set your own rates and the agency will add a standard administrative fee on top of your rate. Because we are a licensed family dayhome agency, you are eligible to qualify for support funding based on your level of education. This funding is added over and above your monthly rate. Please see the "What are the Benefits" section for more info.

How many children can I care for and what are the ratios?

You can have up to six children (aged 12 and under) not including your own children. You can have two children under the age of 2 or three children under the age of 3 (your own children count in this ratio).

Can I run my dayhome if I rent my home?

Yes, however we will require written permission from your landlord.

Can my friend/husband/sister/daughter etc. run my dayhome with me?

Only one person can be contracted with the agency. Your friend/husband/sister/daughter, etc can apply to become a backup educator for situations where you are unable to care for the children. Contact the Agency for more information on how to apply to become a backup educator.

What are the benefits of opening my dayhome through your agency?

-The agency will handle all financial matters including collecting payments from families, claiming for educator support funding and infant incentive, etc. so you can concentrate on running your dayhome.

-We refer families to your dayhome. Our agency advertises on Google, Kijiji, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yelp, YouTube and other directories and websites.

-Families who register can access child care subsidy if they qualify.

-You will have a dedicated consultant with education and experience in early learning and child care to mentor and guide you.

-Networking opportunities with other dayhome educators

-By working through our licensed agency, you are eligible to receive educator support funding based on your certification (up to a maximum of 181 hours per month):

ECE Level 1 - $2.14/hour
ECE Level 2 - $4.05/hour
ECE Level 3 - $6.62/hour

-You will be eligible for government infant care incentives ($150/child per month) when caring for children 18 months and younger.

-We offer several workshops every year, helping you grow professionally

-Receive interest-free loans for toys and dayhome equipment

-Anniversary gifts from the Agency

-Last but not least, we have friendly, professional and knowledgeable staff to support you!

Apply Here: Online Application Form