FAQ - Opening a Dayhome


What are the requirements?

We require a Security Clearance, Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Intervention Check for everyone in the home that is 18 years or older. All providers are required to have a current Child/Infant CPR First Aid Certificate. If you live in an apartment, you must be on the ground floor. You can still apply to become a dayhome educator prior to completing your security clearance and intervention checks. You will need to get them before your approval process.

Do I need an education to become a dayhome educator?

It is an asset if you have your Child Care Assistant, Child Care Worker or Child Care Supervisor Certification. We will still consider applicants who do not have any childcare certifications. If you do become a provider through our agency, you are required to complete your Child Care Assistant course (formerly Level 1). This can be completed through in-home study in the comfort of your own home.

How much does it cost?

We do not charge a fee to become a dayhome educator with our agency. You will be responsible for the cost of the criminal background check and First Aid/CPR course. You will also be responsible for costs associated with running your dayhome (i.e. developing your play space, food/drink for children, etc.) Since you are running your own business, many of these costs are tax-deductible.

How much will I make?

As an approved dayhome educator, you are considered self-employed and able to set your own rates and the agency will add a standard administrative fee on top of your rate. Because we are an accredited family dayhome agency, educators are eligible to qualify for support funding based on your level of education. This funding is added over and above your monthly rate. Please see the "What are the Benefits" section for more info.

How many children can I care for and what are the ratios?

You can have up to six children (aged 12 and under) including your own children. We are required by the government to follow age ratio guidelines. You can have two children under the age of 2 or three children under the age of 3.

Can I run my dayhome if I rent my home?

Yes, however you must first get permission from your landlord.

Can my friend/husband/sister/daughter etc. run my dayhome with me?

Only one person can be contracted with the agency. Your friend/husband/sister/daughter, etc can apply to become a back-up educator for situations where you are unable to care for the children. To become a back-up educator, they must get a Criminal Background Check, Child Intervention Check, First Aid/CPR and must provide 3 references.

What are the benefits of opening my dayhome through your agency?

-The agency will handle all financial matters including collecting payments from families and claiming for educator support funding so you can concentrate on running your dayhome.

-We refer families to your dayhome. Our agency advertises on Google, Kijiji, Facebook, Twitter and other directories and websites.

-Our agency offers government subsidies for families who qualify.

-You will have a dedicated consultant with education and experience in child care to mentor and guide you.

-By working through our agency, you are eligible to receive a wage top up based on your certification (up to a maximum of 181 hours per month):

Child Care Assistant - $2.14/hour
Child Care Worker - $4.05/hour
Child Care Supervisor - $6.62/hour

-Staff attraction incentives through Alberta Human Services

-You will be eligible for government infant care incentives ($150/child per month)

-You will be eligible to receive Northern Living Allowance of $208 per month

-We offer several workshops every year, helping you grow professionally

-Receive interest-free loans for toys and dayhome equipment

-Last but not least, we have very friendly staff available to support you!

Apply Here: Online Application Form